- Students must study with a music teacher.
- NCMTA Teachers must hold current membership with NCMTA.
- Non-Member Teacher Fee is $50.00.
- The teacher, the student or the place of instruction must be located in North Carolina.
Entrant Information (Student’s Age as of January 1 of current year)Elementary Fee (Ages 5-10) $20.00 Maximum time 3 minutesJunior Fee (Ages 11-14) $25.00 Maximum time 3 minutesSenior Fee (Ages 15-18) $30.00 Maximum time 5 minutesYoung Artist Fee (Ages 19-26) $35.00 Maximum time 7 minutes Composition Submission
- Each student may enter only one (1) composition. (No staples, please!)
- Each composition must be at least 16 measures in length, and must be in the composer’s handwriting or in the form of a computer printout, produced by the composer. A fully realized score is required.
- The composition should be written for no more than 9 performers.
- Measures should be numbered at the beginning of each system.
- Each page should be labeled with the student’s name and category (Elementary, Junior, Senior or Young Artist)
- The teacher’s name should not appear on the manuscript.
- Students are encouraged to design or illustrate a title page (with title and student’s name). The title page (which will not be judged) should be 8 x 11 size.
- Students must enter a different piece from the MTNA Composition Competition.
- All 1st place winners must progress to the next category.
- A CD Recording is required for each entry.
- No changes may be made after submitting the composition.
- Each student should keep a copy of his or her manuscript.
- Include a SASE with proper postage for the return of manuscript and CD.
- NCMTA is not responsible for materials lost in the mail.
State Conference Composition Recital
- The compositions will be adjudicated by one judge.
- The judge may determine winners: (1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, HM)
- The State Conference Composition Recital will host performances of the winning compositions. Memory is not required, but the performance must be well prepared.
- Winners are responsible for providing performers for the recital.
- The student’s manuscript will be on display during the recital, and it should be retrieved (with the CD) at the close of the recital.